Monday, December 19, 2011

And just like that...

The year is over. Well, for me at least. Going to be taking a break till the 17th of jan next year with some exciting changes. But I do leave you with this. 


My top 5 comedians for 2011.


Before I start this list I need to add a little disclaimer. These are just my personal choices. There was no voting or anything like that. Also, the list is in no particular order. So lets go! 


5. Werner Weber 


First time I saw Werner Weber was at the Graca Comedy festival earlier this year which is round about the same time I started this blog. He didn’t place in that competition but didn’t let that slow him down. He went to create his one man show Devolution which was not perfect but for a first try was damn well close to it. The main reason why I like Werner is his jokes. Sure he does the delivery and all that stand up stuff with great technique but as do everyone on this list. But his jokes are what set him apart. He is a shot left of wrong, especially if you read his tweets on twitter(forteeseven, two e’s not a y). He won’t be for everyone but he tickles my funny bone. 


4. Martin Evans 


Can you call Martin Evans a fringe comedian? I can. Martin’s one man show won a silver standard bank ovation award at this year’s Graham’s town festival. When he brought it to Cape Town I went to see it twice back to back and the show, FBPK, didn’t disappoint. Above that Martin is always a hit in the clubs. Especially when he MC’s an event and interacts with the crowd. He has a dangerous wit about him which always entertains, the ones that aren’t in his crosshairs. 


3. Ndumiso Lindi 


This is a special entry. I saw this man once this year. Since he is based in Joburg, us capies don’t get to see much of him. His twitter feed isn’t that funny either. But his show, Here I stand, was something really special. With a ending that made me leap to my feet and applaud. This is one talented comedian indeed and a must see. 


2. Rob van Vuuren 


What can I say about Rob van Vuuren that I haven’t said already? An actor who isn’t afraid to say he is also a comic. His 2011 show, Live, brought tears to my eyes, as did his dvd of his 2009 show Rob van Vuuren is Rob van Vuuren. One of the few comedians that will make you laughs by just standing there. It is all in the face you see. 


1. Piet Potgieter 


Piet Potgieter is one of the view comedians that can go on stage and turn a crowd around. I saw him play Pakalolo once where the crowd were a few guys in the crowd made it really difficult for the rest us to enjoy the show. Piet went on and got everyone laughing again, even the unruly ones. Great, hardworking comedian and funny as hell.



No comments:

Post a Comment